Wednesday, December 2, 2015

bird by bird

Awake at night, again, I am reading bird by bird by Anne Lamott. I absolutely love this paragraph, which puts things into perspective for me.
E. L. Doctorow once said that “writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” You don’t have to see where you’re going, you don’t have to see your destination or everything you will pass along the way. You just have to see two or three feet ahead of you. This is right up there with the best advice about writing, or life, (or art!) I have ever heard.
I often, and especially in the middle of the night, get lost in thinking that I’m not getting where I want to go (or even have any idea where that is). But thinking about it this way, just taking baby steps each day, makes it all so much less daunting. Now I just need to constantly remind myself of this! This 6"x6" original oil painting is available, unframed, for $85. Click to Bid

No comments:

Post a Comment